Experienced sundowner's syndrome after major surgeries. Should I be worried?
User rating for this question
is sundowners syndrom anything to worry about? I have experienced this twice following major surgery.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, but only when it is present. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Sundowner's syndrome is just a kind of delirium and is common in the elderly after major surgeries. It occurs because of heavy dose of anaesthetic or because of electrolyte disturbances or because of the medications that one is on. Febrile illness and brain disease can also cause it. It is called sundowner's syndrome because the confusion and abnormal behavior worsen in the nighttime. It gradually improves when the probable cause is treated. In simple words, it is just a manifestation of an underlying pathology, but not an independent disease in itself. It is a cause for worry when one is suffering from it because it increases the risk of mortality. The elderly often have difficulty in coming out of it and sometimes it can last for months. But once you come out of it, then you need not worry about it. However, you have an increased risk of suffering from it again when you undergo any major surgery or have any major illness. I hope this clarifies things for you. Please feel free to ask if you need any other clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
People also viewed
- Fluticasone propionate nasal spray risks
- Consequences of broken frenulum
- Benefits to getting off paxil
- Steroids in frenulum breve
- Restless leg syndrom after acl surgery
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome after sinus surgery
- Restless leg syndrome after knee surgery
- Experienced sundowners syndrome after major surgeries should i be worried
- Can masturbation lead to prominent broncho vascular markings?
- Vasectomy reversal brown ejaculate
- Vitamin k stability in syringe
- Vitamin b dosage for adults
- Tietze syndrome after open heart surgery
- What is the cause of brown jelly clumps in semen
- Is a vegan diet unhealthy