Experienced sudden cramping under rib cage. Suffer constipation, bloating and memory problems. What could be the reason?

Oct 2013

A few weeks ago i experienced sudden cramping/muscle spasm? under my R rib cage. Last week when I turned Left I experienced a worse spasm under my left rib cage. Lately i have been constipated, bloated, confused and have memory problems. I am 51 and am a regular drinker.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Namala Bharadwaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rule out cardiac causes , thyroid, electrolyte defects .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.
Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
I understand your concern.

If you have any symptoms of squeezing chest pain that is radiating to left hand immediately consult doctor in ER room, because it can be due to cardiac angina and get ECG to rule out cardiac causes.

Chest spasm: sensation of tightness, contraction, or pressure in the chest.
The muscles can also twitch. It can be difficult or painful to take a breath.
The pain levels associated vary, depending on the cause, but they can be excruciating.
Once the muscles release, the sensation of pain and tightness should resolve very quickly, feeling comfortable again.

Some causes for chest spasms can include trauma to the chest, electrolyte imbalances, neurological damage, certain chronic conditions like asthma and fibromyalgia, endocrine defects, tension, anxiety, or stress, electrolyte imbalances like low levels of magnesium and calcium, in particular, are associated with muscle cramps and twitches.

In your case I would consider two things
1 ) Endocrine cause: because Your diagnosed thyrotoxicosis , thyroid problems can cause these symptoms of muscle spasm, neurological symptoms and bowel disturbances.
2) Electrolyte disturbances: because of neurological symptoms like confusion, bowel disturbances, and cramps.

First rule out any cardiac reasons by ECG, after that you can go for following basic investigations like complete blood picture, hematocrit, serum electrolytes, thyroid profile, and chest x XXXXXXX

These investigations will rule out any pathology related to chest and general health.

If your symptoms are not getting revealed or increasing severity please consult doctor.

Hope I answered your query
Any further information ask me in follow up query
or direct question at
WWW.WWWW.WW Regards .