Experienced shooting pain from neck to brain. What is the cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I experienced recently, while exercising on a Pilates reformer a shooting pain from my neck ( left sided) to my brain (left sided) with horrific pain. It took around 15 to 20 minutes of controlled breathing to elevate most of the pain. What happened? Please note I did have a slight headache before my routine.

Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
The pain you have mentioned most likely originated from the neck (cervical) nerves.
When the neck nerves get pinched, it leads to sharp, shooting pain, similar to what you described.
At present, simple neck extension exercises would be useful to prevent its recurrence. This can be taught to you by a physiotherapist.
If symptoms recur, you could see a neurologist and get MRI cervical spine done to establish the diagnosis.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist