Experienced sharp pain in palm followed by tingling and stiffness up to elbow. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Some 10 hours ago I experienced a sharp pain in my left palm. The pain subsided and was followed by tingeling and a sort of stiff feeling in my arm, primarily up to the elbow, as if I'd hit my funny bone. So now, 10 hours later, I still have the peculiar feeling in my arm, a slight tenseness in my shoulder and a small dark bruise in the middle of my palm.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may need further investigation.

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

According to your symptoms shoulder pain with tingling in palm can be due to diffuse disc bulge compressing your cervical spine.
Another possibility include of arteritis which are mainly autoimmune, this differential can be considered as in 2010 all your neurology, cardiology and psychiatry were normal.

I will advice for MRI cervical spine and Repeat EMG-NCV [nerve conduction] study.
For arteritis colour Doppler and blood test like XXXXXXX antiss, ESR, CRP.

Till time some medication like methylcobalamine and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.
You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Experienced sharp pain in palm followed by tingling and stiffness up to elbow. Cause? 10 hours later
Hi, Thankyou for your reply.

I will be following up with my GP after the weeked, and will mention your suggestions. In 2010, Neurology did an MRI scan, a full-body CT and a Lumber Puncture and didn't identify any disc bulge or similar. In that respect, autoimmune issues may be what I'll need my GP to investigate.

Again, thanks for your answer,
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thats good as no disc bulge

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Thats good as no disc bulge