Experienced dizziness followed by spinning, nausea and chills in the middle of night. Cause?

Last night while sleeping I woke up suddenly with a dizzy spell so intense that everything was spinning and felt nausea and got real hot clammy then got a chill.
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 6 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Dizziness can be due to many reasons. Postural hypotension (sudden fall in BP), hypoglycemia (low sugar), cardiac problem, anxiety, dehydration or inner ear problems can all result in dizziness. Finding out the cause will help in proper remedy.

Postural hypotension occurs when you suddenly get up from your bed. A sudden change from the lying down position to the standing position causes this. This is because of sudden fall in BP which occurs in some persons when they quickly get up from bed. Rising slowly from bed can reduce this.

Cardiac (heart) problems can cause dizziness and needs to be ruled out in persons of your age. Similarly hypoglycemia can also result in dizziness, palpitations and cold clammy skin due to sweating. Happens always in pre diabetics. In both these conditions, dizziness can be felt even while lying down in bed. GTT will help in ruling out Diabetes.

The feeling of nausea and spinning of objects could also be dizziness due to BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) that occurs with particular movements of your head like rolling over in bed. The dizziness in BPPV can be sudden and violent. This occurs due to inner ear problems and is usually transient and subsides when the cause is treated.

Dizziness can demoralize any person. You should consult a physician to find out the actual cause of your dizziness and for further management.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.