Experienced dizziness after cardioversion. Had low grade fever and 02 saturation was between 85-91. On antibiotics. Suggest

My husband had his 2nd cardioversion 2 days ago. (no structural issues-electro) Today he didn't feel well and experienced dizziness when standing up. He also been hiccupping for 2 days, but that went away a few hours ago. I took him to the hospital. He had a low grade temperature and his 02 saturation was between 85 and 91...(worse when standing). He has some plural effusion that they are keeping an eye on but no clot. They are also starting him on some antibiotics. They admitted him, but he is incredibly angry with me. Can you please thoroughly explain the importance of him being overseen in the hospital because he wont listen to me. BTW He has been a smoker for 30 years and is overweight.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

I read carefully your query and I would like to say that you have done the best thing in that situation.

First, you describe that your husband experienced dizziness today when standing up, which is a sign that should be evaluated carefully by the neurologist. One of the complications of cardioversion is stroke.

In the second part, you describe that he had low O2 saturation (worse when standing) which is a sign of danger after the cardioversion. Another possible complication of the procedure is pulmonary thrombosis. Even if the results of the exams say no clots found, sometimes there are micro clots that you can't find in routine examination.

If I were your curing doctor probably, I would have done the same thing.

Hope it answered to your question!

Dr. Benard

p.s.if you have other concern, do not hesitate to write me back!