Experienced chest pain after eating peanuts. Taking cholesterol medicines, have borderline BP. Allergic to peanuts. Root cause?

Sep 2013

My 51 year old husband is having chest pains. Earlier today he ran a 5k road race and finished sixth in the race out of hundreds. He is in top physical health but takes cholesterol meds due to family history. His blood pressure can be borderline high but seems to be under control lately. He is allergic to peanuts but sometimes will indulge. Tonight he ate a chunky peanut butter sandwich followed be a piece of key lime pie, two things he never eats. He has no other symptoms, ie arm, jaw or back pain. No sweating or dizziness. Could the peanut butter cause this?
Your site indicated a doctor could answer right now...not within 24 hours. I would not have paid as I was looking for an immediate response given the symptoms. If I don't get one ASAP, I will be requesting a refund.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.

It is reassuring to note that your husband, who is 51 years old and runs 5 km race and 6th place i.e. his health is not only good but this indicates that there is no chances of heart disease at all till today.
5 km race is in itself a treadmill test. Though an ECG has not been done.

Now we are coming to the point.
Chest pain, but no pain in arm, jaw or back pain, it means no heart pain.
Due to food allergy ( peanut ) in esophagus (food pipe) develops inflammation, hence esophagitis (may be cause of pain in chest).

Peanut Butter, sandwich, key lime pie
These above mentioned food products, produce hyper-acidity and gastritis ( in stomach). Gastritis produced pain refers to (resembles) chest also.
So the cause of pain in the chest may be due to above mentioned reasons.
One more reason may be over feeding of these food items .
Please get a repeat blood examination for Cholesterol (lipid profile), if every thing normal than you may stop the lipid lowering medicines (cholesterol reducer).

As you mentioned in your query that there is borderline high Blood pressure, so please keep an eye over diastolic blood pressure (lower blood pressure) as due to family history, otherwise there is no cause of concern.
Your husband is physically fit so in my opinion.

Hope I have answered your query.
If further any question I will be happy to help.
Wish you a good luck for both of you.