Experienced a large hematoma after a hit. Area feels tingly after applying ice. Is this normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi- Earlier today during a softball game I was hit by a fast pitch ball about 70 mph on my femur. About 1 hour later - a large hematoma appeared. I was surprised as to how fast it bruised up with lots of discoloration- it also swelled up in into a large softball size knot.. I put ice for 15 minutes and continued on with my day. Now, 8 hours later, my whole leg, most below the injury is very tingly. Is this normal? Should I be alarmed? Please help! Thank you!
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry about. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious fracture since there is no severe pain on weight bearing on the leg. The lump and the mild pain could be due to blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding and clot). Rest assured it will subside in a week more. The tingling is due to the compression of the nerve by the large hematoma that you have. If you have an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing the please go ahead and confirm the diagnosis with CT scan. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Experienced a large hematoma after a hit. Area feels tingly after applying ice. Is this normal? 5 minutes later
Thank you for your comment. So, there is no need to go in to see a DR? Is it normal that my foot is very tingly? (the injury was on my femur)

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: The tingly feeling is normal. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes. The tingly feeling is normal. Your symptoms are not worrisome as of now. There is no need of investigations if there is no increase in pain or swelling. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Experienced a large hematoma after a hit. Area feels tingly after applying ice. Is this normal? 4 minutes later
should i elevate the leg when sleeping or even at all? Also, when you mean swelling - are you talking about the whole leg or the location of the hematoma , because the bruise/hematoma is the size of a softball

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes you can elevate the leg. Detailed Answer: Hello. Yes. Elevating the leg on two pillows while resting will help in reducing the swelling. I am talking about the size of the hematoma and not the whole leg or the discolored area. Continue doing a cold compress thrice a day. Regards.