Experience swelling and pain in calf. Blood test showed 650 for DVT. Suggested Baker's cyst. Help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Approximately 1 week agio I started to experience swelling and pain in my left calf area, no injury no fall. When I get out of bed and I step down on left foot the pain is excruciating. I have had 2 ultra sound they they say they could not detect a DVT however my score on one of the blood tests which they ran scored me at 620 with the danger figure being 650 for a DVT I was told. The doctor sent me away saying that he thinks it was a Bakers Cyst that ruptured although I never felt the lump behing knee which they clainm you would detect. I also have bllod showing under the skin on the right and left side of left foot and the swelling has not gone down althoigh I have iced and elevated it for the week. The calf is still very painful to touch although once I am up and walking there is very little pain. Help
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
The pain swelling in the left calf is not likely to be due to DVT as you have already been investigated for it. If you distinctly remember of no history of trauma, then the other possibilities can be-
1.Experiencing pain in legs and calf may be due to a vascular problem.The pain may be caused by claudication caused by peripheral arterial disease (PAD), narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to your leg muscles.
2.Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc.Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects both legs. There are some illnesses that cause leg weakness that may be associated with complaints of leg pain, like Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.
A physical examination and regular follow up with your orthopedician is necessary to detect the exact cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.