Exercising after a long gap affects periods causing heavy flow. Cause?

Mar 2016

I do not exercise regularly, but when I start exercising after a long period of time, I note it impacts my period.

If i am during my period, I notice that the flow becomes more and I finish my period in less time than usual. And if I wasnt in my period then it comes forward before its time.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Heavy or prolonged exercise may impact on your period due to hormonal imbalance & changes in hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian (HPO) axis. Second thing, if your body fat percentage is much higher than the normal level according to your height (obesity), regular cycle may hamper.

Relevant investigations like blood sugar, complete hormonal assay, serum electrolyte assay, TVS scan, endometrial biopsy following D & C etc may be needed to rule out pathology if any. You can consult with gynecologist regarding this for proper guidance.

My suggestions are as follows for healthy life style:

1) Take prescribed medication for PCOS or undergo laparoscopy to remove multiple cysts. It improves your ovulation process.
2) Do regular light to moderate exercise (not heavy or long time) by means of jogging or treadmill etc.
3) Try to avoid stress/ depression by meditation, yoga or breathing exercise.
4) Take healthy diet with iron, folic acid & vitamin-E supplements. Eat more green vegetables & fruits.
5) Drink more fluid or water with salt & lemon following exercise or you can take energy drink.
6) You can take progesterone medication additionally to regularize period after consultation with your doctor.
7) Maintain genital hygiene properly and take sound sleep with complete relaxation.
8) In repeated failure of IVF technique, you can opt for surrogate pregnancy which has more than 60% success rate.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen