Excruciating abdominal pain, gas, belching, diarrhoea, headache. Taken Tums, Malox, Benedryl, Nexium, Prilosec. Treatment?

my boyfriend has excruiating abdominal pain,gas ,belching for some time now it comes and goes and sometimes is very severe,No blood in stool . Diaarhea is present.No blood is present in his stool .He has diarrhea alot.His head hurts also . No fever present ,He does not want to go to er as he has no insurance . He takes tums daily,malox,benedryl . He is tired and sleeps alot . Iasm worried, He has tried nexium ,prilosec .Iam a Dental Hygienist I think he has either an ulcer or colitis . I do no think it is divertic because that usually hurts in lower left portion of lower abdomen wehere the sigmoid colon is located . what over the counter things can he take. Should he take zpack ?
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 2 hours later
Dear Lynnk,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.

I am worried about your boyfriend. Symptoms of colicky pain abdomen, along with gas, belching and diarrhoea suggest a small bowel or a large bowel disease. Though certainly a peptic ulcer disease can not be ruled out. I cant make out for how long his symptoms are and what is the location of his pain. It certainly doesnot appears to be diverteculitis.

My suggestion is that with these symptoms he needs a proper evaluation with a gastroenterologist and he should not try to selfmedicate himself.

With best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal