Excessive yawning causing neck pain. Cause?

Dec 2012

Recently, I have been yawning a lot lately due to lack of good sleeping habits. Now when I start to yawn I feel a pain on the right side of my neck. What can yawning too uch do that's causing the pain? Is it stretching something that's not upposed to be stretched?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 hours later

Yawning involves opening the mouth involuntarily while taking a long, deep breath of air. This is usually done as a result of drowsiness or weariness. Excessive yawning is yawning that happens more often than expected, even if drowsiness or weariness is present. Normally excessive yawning can stretch the jaw muscles and you may experience some light pain at the level of your jaws but it is unlikely that this pain radiates or you feel it at the level of your neck. but yoy can do a personal observation and see if the pain comes shortly after you yawn or they are unrelated. most at times excessive yawning is caused by an underlying medical condition such as sleep disorder. A neurologist might be able to assist yoif the pain persist.

Hope I was helpful and wish you a nice day
Dr. Nsah