Excessive weight gain. Had a foot surgery. High fasting glucose level. Can I control sugar levels without medication?

Question
Hi- I am 35 years old. I have gained 40 pounds in the past 2 years, making me 190. I had a botched foot surgery that has left me unable to exercise much the last 2 years. I got a fasting glucose number of 200. I refuse to accept a diabetes diagnosis. I have started eating right & found a way to get in my exercise. Could my number go down in a months time???
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Definitely your blood glucose values can get down towards normal. Wieght management and diet are very important in this regard. Once your blood glucose levels come down the most importantant thing is maintaining them in normal range by continuing diet and life style modification. It is right time that you check your lipid profile, thyroid tests, urine examination and ECG just to ensure nothing abnormal with them. You must also check glycated hemoglobin to assess glycemic levels.
It would be nice if you can consult an endocrinologist and nutritionist. You need to discuss with your Endo in detail the need for medications at this stage and if they are required the pros and cons of available options. You should make a conscious and focused approach to get your weight down - that will take care of many problems.
Hope to see you in good health,
Shivaprasad