Excessive sweating and feeling warm. Could it be a sign of perimenopause ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
So, ever since I've had my children I've been warmer. It has been an on and off situation until recently this year. I run very warm most of the day, but not always. Something as simple as sweeping the floor will cause me to overheat and be drenched in sweat. This happens at night too, I'll wake up drenched as well as the blankets. Normally, it takes a lot for me to sweat while exercising.
I'm most comfortable at about 15-18C degrees in the room. XXXXXXX is usually running around in his woolies and i'm in shorts and a cami. It gets down to freezing at night and I sleep with the window open.
I remember mom having intermittent hot flashes, but mine don't seem to come on and off like that. I'm mainly just warm most of the time. I don't wear a jacket outside with a day time high of 8-12C and i'm fine in short sleeves.
Any insight? The past few weeks have been terrible! Can perimenopause start this early?
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to your description the possibilities are:
Hyperthyroidism: people with hyperthyroidism can present with heat intolerance.
Perimenopausal symptoms: some people can have premature menopause.
So you once consult gynecologist and get evaluated for these conditions.
Go for thyroid profile once, if the result comes abnormal treatment can be taken accordingly.
If thyroid profile is normal then with your doctor's advice you can go for estimation of the levels of estrogen, FSH etc. According to which the possibility of early menopause can be ruled out.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Excessive sweating and feeling warm. Could it be a sign of perimenopause ? 1 hour later
My father was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but is a very thin man with a huge appetite without weight gain. I've always had issues with my weight. I have to be very diligent not to gain weight. How common is it to have menopause this early and what causes it?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later

Sometimes thyroid disease can run in families.
Weight reducing medicines sometimes can contain thyroid hormones that can lead to hyperthyroidism.
Premature menopause can occur due to many causes like chromosomal defects, genetics, chemotherapy, autoimmune diseases etc.
Thyroid abnormality can also occur as autosomal disorder. So better to get investigated to rule out any correlation between these two in your case.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Excessive sweating and feeling warm. Could it be a sign of perimenopause ? 14 days later
Ordered labs are CBC with Diff- all normal
Comp metabolic panel- all normal with the exception of the BUN/Creatinine Ration is high 29.2 with normal ranging 8-20.
TSH 1.040

They are not able to order a FSH unless I'm 65 or older. I have another 30 for that! lol.

I will have to go to my gyn to try and order an FSH etc. The urgent care doctor thinks that it's just normal for me.

I used to be cold all the time. The heat has started frequently since about January. It's very uncomfortable and causing interrupted sleep.

Anything to worry about with the ratio or does it point in a direction with symptoms that I'm having?

Much appreciated!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 50 minutes later

Increased BUN/Creatinine ratio indicates increased re-absorption of BUN.
This can be seen in simple conditions like dehydration also.
If your blood urea level is within normal limits no need to bother.
Your TSH level is normal.
If all investigations are normal, no need to worry.
You consult your gynecologist and decide further regrading FSH test to rule out that possibility also.

Follow-up: Excessive sweating and feeling warm. Could it be a sign of perimenopause ? 15 minutes later
If FSH is ok, what othe causes?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
There are many causes to hot flushes other than hormonal imbalance like neurological, emotional, adrenal causes etc. But these are less common.
I am here giving one link containing information regarding this. Possibly that may be useful to you.
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.