Excessive sweat, speech slurred, pronunciation improper, sleep frequent

My business partner did not wake up this morning till I called him a noon. His bed was wet with sweat. Enough to ring out. His speach is slurred and "fat" he can not pronounce his words clear. Yet he is thinking okay. He knows what we are asking him... etc. Once I woke him up... he fell back asleep..
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting the question.

I am very concerned about your business partner. I really think that you need to take him in for an immediate medical evaluation. My concern is that he possibly could have suffered a stroke. While I am not certain of this I really think he needs to have a position take a look at him in a focused consultation with examination.

In addition some imaging studies may be performed including a CAT scan or MRI of the brain. Laboratory tests may also be performed to rule out the possibility that he has some type of electrolyte imbalance or if there is some type of toxin which caused these mental status changes what you are observing.

Unless you are able to rule out some type of exposure such as alcohol or some type of recreational drug I really think he needs to be seen by a physician as soon as possible.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert