Excessive sexual desire in the presence of opposite sex, cannot concentrate on exam

Psychiatrist
Question
i am iit-jee aspirants .Although i was well prepared for exams . but during examination i can't give attention due to sexual desires ,when a girl sits beside me during examinations. what can i do to overcome this problem for furthur exams ?
i want confidence in my studies
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 18 year old boy
• Preparing for competitive exam
• Complaints of: excessive sexual desire in presence of opposite sex.

It is very common for teenager to have excessive sexual thoughts and desire. These thoughts and desire usually become even more stronger in presence of opposite sex, so do not feel any guilt regarding this. But these thoughts should not create problem in study and social life like in your case.

There are certain psychological conditions also, which associated with excessive sexual desires. I need following information to help you better:
-Do you have repeated thoughts of sex or other subject which are difficult to stop and cause anxiety?
-Do have doubts related to contamination of body?
-Do you have any repetitive behavior like checking doors lock or washing hand?
-Do you have anxiety, excessive perspiration and palpitation?
-How is your sleep and appetite?

Waiting for your reply,

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Excessive sexual desire in the presence of opposite sex, cannot concentrate on exam 37 minutes later
yes , i have repeated thoughts of sex when i becomes very sad and when my aspirations not get completed . i want my full concentration on studies and nothing else ,in free time what can i do to neglect this type of thinking ,what should be my hobbies, can i neglect this completely for min 4 years , if yes ,how ??

I take sleep at night at least 8 hrs. and good apetite.
when i failed to perform excellence in my studies , i have great anxiety,
so in this period how to recover ??

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 21 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up,

As you mentioned about excessive anxiety and sadness lead to such thoughts in that case, medicine specially from SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) will help help you, as they decrease anxiety and also decrease excessive sexual urges and thoughts.

Apart from that distraction technique like counting backward or repeating months name in backward direction (whenever you have such urges) will help you.

If after all these efforts you have some sexual thoughts, then do not worry much. As it is normal to have sexual thought in this age group and focus on study simultaneously.

Wish you good health.