Excessive saliva production after bowel movement. Reason?

Following defecation I often experience the appearance of a considerable amount of saliva and wonder why this should be.
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
It seems that you are passing a visible amount of mucus after your stools.
Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus. Lots of gas and indigestion is commonly associated with passage of some amount of mucus in the stools. But passing stools with visible amounts of mucus could be from one of several different diseases or conditions.

Mucus in the stool is a common symptom of IBS) and ulcerative colitis, and is seen to a lesser degree in Crohn's disease. Bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction may also cause the passage of mucus along with stool.

Physical examination, stool analysis and sometimes colonoscopy are entailed here. These basic test are necessary to diagnose the condition and for appropriate treatment.

I encourage you to consult your primary physician and get the relevant investigations done.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Excessive saliva production after bowel movement. Reason? 8 hours later
Thank you for the above.

However, I was not referring to mucus in my stools (from which I do not suffer) but the rush of saliva that appears in my mouth following defection.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I am sorry i could not clear your concerns earlier.
A rush of saliva in the mouth after defecation may be related to anxiety or a stimulation of the gut due to a strong bowel movement. This is not worrisome and does not indicate any pathology.
It is a self limiting process.
Please do not worry as no treatment is needed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.