Excessive pepsi drinker. Getting sore and horse throat. What is the required treatment?

Question
SORE HORSE THROAT FOR OVER 2 MONTHS, DONE PENICILLIAN AND Z PACKS. SKOAL USER AND EXCESSIVE PEPSI DRINKER.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Most of the upper respiratory tract infections are caused by viruses and hence if there is a conclusive culture evidence of bacterial infection then may be you can be benefited by antibiotics, in viral cases you are not.
Probably you are having a viral origin problem.
I would advise you to have a repeat throat swab and culture/sensitivity reporting, and improve oral hygiene with twice a day brushing and chlorhexidine mouth gargles after brush and do not take any thing orally for ensuing two hours. XXXXXXX warm saline gargles should be done after every feed.
Observe the routine for about 10 days. Also use decongestant drugs as supplement the dose your clinician would know.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.