Excessive blood in iron can be caused due to?

i have far to much iron in my blood what could be the cause of this i am a 53 year old female
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Increased amount of iron above normal levels in blood is called Haemosiderosis. Types are primary and secondary.

Primary cause is genetic. Secondary causes include diet excess, oral therapy excess, repeated blood transfusions, chronic hemolysis etc.

The cause has to be determined in your case looking at your overall history and review. Treatment options include bloodletting and chelating agents as required by the doctor.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.