Excessive bleeding /continuous periods, 51 year old. Taking progestrone with no help. Internal examination normal. What further ?

my problem is excessive bleeding /continuous monthlies aged fifty one and taking progesterone to stop bleeds but its not working. I have had XXXXXXX exam last week,and had a cervical smear with no abnormal results. i am awaiting ultrasound pelvic scan. should i continue with progesterone pills three times daily or should i stop, they are not working
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

What you describe here is called perimenopausal menorrhagia, in case you want to research it further. Progesterone is often the first line of treatment. However, if as you say, it is not working then there is no point in pushing it further.

But there could well be some other causes which need to be ruled before any definitive treatment plan could be charted for you, that is exactly what your treating doctor is doing.

The next line of treatment may be to put you on the combined oral contraceptive to see if that would help.

In the meantime however I note you are due to have pelvic ultrasound reports. This will be to rule out uterine fibroids or other pathology and is a wise precaution. Hopefully you will get a normal report.

This is one of those situations where doctors try this and that but will ultimately come up with a solution. If medicines fail there is always surgery starting with endometrial ablation. I hope all goes well for you. This must be very upsetting.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr Andrew Rynne.