Excessive belching during exercise. History of hiatus hernia. Taking omeprazole. Cure?

I belch while walking on a treadmill. As i increase the speed i begin belching more. I don't eat for 5 or 6 hours prior to
walking. I have a haital hernia and use omeprizole daily. The belching prevents me from elevating my heart rate above 90
I am 81 years old
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 19 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

The belching is bringing out of swallowed up air. Hiatus hernia compromises the integrity of lower esophageal sphincter muscle and promotes belching as well as gastroesophageal reflux. This may worsen with any exertion as well as vagal nerve stimulation.

I would suggest you some prokinetics (like domperidone or levosulphiride) along with the omeprazole that you are taking now. You may get these drugs prescribed by your treating physician after discussing with him/her.

Meanwhile, diaphragmatic exercises mainly the XXXXXXX breathing exercises with help to tighten the lower esophageal sphincter and reduce the belching and reflux.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available to address any additional concern that you may have. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.