Excessive beer while on metroprolol can be harmful or will do any good?

I am on 100mg metoprolol now for about 12 years I like to go the pub and have 2/3 pints of full strength beer on 3 days per week . is this doin more harm than good
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Follow-up: Excessive beer while on metroprolol can be harmful or will do any good? 7 minutes later
what is the safe number of beers I can have per day, what are my chances of having another blockage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Taking 2-3 pints of beer daily with a history of myocardial infarction definitely puts you at a higher risk for coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy and heart failure.

Moderate beer drinking of upto one pint per day might be associated with a favorable lipid profile. There are no studies which support a higher intake of alcohol with reduces chances of having a heart disease.

It is advisable to reduce your alcohol intake to a bare minimum as it is likely to cause you more harm than good.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Wish you good health.