Excessive Hair loss since long. Thought it to be hormonal & post delivery effects. What i need to do now?

Hi Doctor,

I seem to behaving extensive hair fall since my daughter turned one or so, a year ago. I have been attributing this to hormonal changes and post-delivery effects. but I am now worried. My mother also has thin hair, as she aged. I would like to know what i need to do.
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for putting up your query.

Based on your description, you seem to be suffering from "Telogen effluvium".

Telogen hair loss begins after a stressful event in the life such as child birth, major surgery, blood loss, malaria, typhoid fever, etc. The hairs that has crossed telogen phase are lost and the hairs which are in telogen phase are anyway going to be shed in natural cycle.

The condition is usually self limiting within 6 months to 1 year; but in some cases it may extend more than one year. But the prognosis is not bad and you will not go bald like men do. New hair will keep coming up and hair loss will decrease over the time.

A direct examination of the hairs by a competent dermatologist can confirm this possibility.

Mean while what you can do:
1. Take vitamin supplements which consist of Vitamin b7 or biotin which is important for hair growth. Also vitamin A, D, protein , amino acids like L cysteine, L methione, micronutrients like zinc, Iron, copper are important for hair growth. I suggest you to take a nutritional supplement which contains above mentioned ingredients in required proportions. Your dermatologist can help you prescribing a brand that is available in your locality.
2. Also do some destressing activities - regular exercise, maintain good diet, take one fruit per day and avoid smoking / alcohol / tobacco in any form.
3. Protect your hair and scalp from excessive heat, sunlight, direct wind, dust.
4. Avoid harsh shampoo use trigaine shampoo.

Advanced options like mesotherapy can be given in your case; discuss the same with your dermatologist.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them.

Dr Sudarshan