Excess skin on upper arm surgically removed, redness, swelling, bulging veins. Tried aleve, compress, no relief. Treatment options?

about 5 years ago i had surgery to have excess skin removed from my upper arm. now i have a large area on my upper arm just above the elbow that is red, hot and swollen with bulging veins. i tried warm compresses and aleve but it is still very hot and red and lumpy
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

First I would like to point it out to that it is unlikely the surgery done 5 years ago has anything to do with the current situation.
The lesion you are describing right now looks like “cellulitis”. Cellulitis is infection of the cells that make up the skin and the fascia under it.

I suggest you to consult your physician for examination at the earliest. You may need to be started on antibiotics like levofloxacin and also medicines that reduce inflammation like levocetrizine and others medications like serratio peptidase to bring down the edema. You may also need some blood tests like Complete blood count, Fasting blood sugar to be done

In the mean time please follow these advises:

1. Continue the cold compression
2. Do not scratch the area
3. Watch out for fever
4. Watch out for increase in size of the lesion and change of color
5. Watch out for any discharge coming out of it.

Hope I have been helpful. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.

Wish you good health and faster recovery.