Excess saliva production, feeling of nerves contraction on face, cough

my mother is 67 years old. she has been facing an acute problem of water/saliva rushing in her mouth. when this happens she feels as if all the nerves of her face ar getting contracted. usually this happens when she sleeps on her left side. she is also facing some cough problem for the last couple of weeks.But this problem is quite old now
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 55 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

Your mother is suffering from high blood pressure for which she is taking medications.

She is also having excessive saliva production with contractions near her face. She also has cough.

Excessive saliva can be caused by either an increase in her body's production of saliva or a decrease in her ability to swallow or keep saliva in your mouth. Some of the causes will be Dentures that are new or don't fit well, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux), Infection in her mouth, Stomatitis (an inflammation of mucous membranes in her mouth).

Some of the causes of a decreased ability to swallow or to retain saliva in your mouth will be Acute sinusitis, Allergies, Chronic sinusitis, Enlarged adenoids, etc. She will need to get examined by an ENT specialist to know the exact cause.

She is also feeling contraction in her face, I would like to know if:
1. There is weakness or numbness of the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body.
2. Confusion or difficulty speaking or understanding.
3. Problems with vision such as dimness or loss of vision in one or both eyes.
4. Dizziness or problems with balance or coordination.
5. Problems with movement or walking.
6. What is her recent blood pressure reading.

Sometimes, sinusitis, headaches can cause this kind of sensation too. She will need to be investigated by a Physician.

For her persistent cough, she can take steam inhalation with menthol drops and also medications like Koflet syrup 2tsp twice a day. She should drink only warm boiled water. If it increases, she will need a chest x-ray and treatment with antibiotics.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Excess saliva production, feeling of nerves contraction on face, cough 1 hour later
thanks for the reply doc.

will consult the ENt specialist.As for the contraction , this happens only when the saliav or the water rushes inside her mouth and usually it happens when she sleeps in aparticular position ,that is while sleeping on her left side.
other wise she doesnot have any symptoms as mentioned above,i think they atr symptoms of Alzimers/dementia.
she is fully active and fit
Answered by Dr. Radhika 16 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

It is good that she does not have any of the symptoms, since these are symptoms of stoke.

Since it happens only when she sleeps on a particular side, there might be a possibility of muscle twitching.

Twitching is involuntary, sudden movements that can occur anytime, including when a person is sleeping. The movements may be temporary and they may require no treatment; but, in some cases, the involuntary movements can be a sign of a medical problem.

Other familiar examples of myoclonus are the jerks or "sleep starts" that some people experience while drifting off to sleep. These simple forms of myoclonus occur in normal, healthy persons also and cause no difficulties.

Myoclonic twitches or jerks usually are caused by sudden muscle contractions, called positive myoclonus, or by muscle relaxation, called negative myoclonus. Myoclonic jerks may occur alone or in sequence, in a pattern or without pattern. They may occur infrequently or many times each minute.

I do not think the possibility of Alzheimer's disease, as you said, your mother is active and fit. Alzheimer's/dementia will have symptoms like personality changes, memory loss, intellectual slowing, etc.

You need to consult your physician for the confirmation of diagnosis and treatment if required.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.