Excess gas, clear mucus from rectum, no fever, weakness. Milk allergy or irritable bowel syndrome ?

ihave a problem with excess gas and clear mucus expelled from rectum
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 40 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

We must try to think of the underlying cause of what you are experiencing and there are a few categories including infectious, allergic or inflammatory.

I doubt this is infectious as it would usually involve fever and more systemic symptoms such as extreme weakness.

Regarding allergy it is not uncommon to see this type of thing in a person who has a milk or lactose allergy. This is also referred to as lactose intolerance. Adjusting your diet to eliminate milk products for 4 weeks will serve as an adequate diagnostic evaluation for this type of thing.

Also, gluten intolerance can create symptoms like this. Gluten is a common ingredient in foods and if you have a sensitivity to gluten it can cause a lot of GI symptoms including bloating and diarrhea and excess gas.

The last consideration would be irritable bowel disorder. This is typically linked to stress in some people and can be exacerbated by eating excessive amounts of heavy foods such as cheeses, meats and spicy foods. There are some medications which have been helpful in this disorder and your doctor could consider providing you with one of these if it looks like this is the most likely cause.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga