Ask a Dentist   »  

Excess Saliva production after placing dental bridge on front teeth. Reason?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
after placing new bridge on my front teeth a lot of saliva forming in my mouth and i started chewing my front teeth constantly, some sticky staff is coming out, please, help.Dentist says he does not see any discharge. He saw me in the morning, not too much discharge was at the time.But my mouth is full of it right now. I feel he does not believe it is true.
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX, Thank you for choosing healthcare for your healthrelated issues.

It is normal to form more saliva whenever a new foreign material is inserted into the mouth. May be you are too concious towards the bridge so that you started the new habit of chewing front teeth coonstantly. Stop trying to feel the bridge every now and then, focus on your regular work, bridge wil get adjusted automatically.
Sticky stuff what you are explaining may be dental plaque/tartar, which usually forms all over the teeth surface including bridge. This will go if you brush the region thrice daily - as soon as you get up, after morning breakfast, after last food of the day.

I hope this answers your query. If yes, kindly accept the answer otherwise you are well-come with required clarrificatons.
wishing you speedy normalcy.
with regards,
Follow-up: Excess Saliva production after placing dental bridge on front teeth. Reason? 10 hours later
Doctor, I am cleaning, brushing, flossing after each snack or meal, my mouth feels stuffed all the time. When I place something in my mouth - dry fruit, gum I feel a little better for a while, but I cannot go on chewing all the time. How long it takes to adjust?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 16 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX, Thank you for the query.

Usually it takes 10-15 days for a bridge to get accepted by our body. Since you are saying you feel better at the initial part of chewing, you are likely get adjusted soon. Never be concisous while having food with regards to bridge. Even after few days if you still feel the simillar problems, and feel of 'stuffed somthing' then better to take second opinion regarding the design of the bridge.
I sincerely wish you get adjusted to the bridge soon.
with regards,