Esophagogastroduodenoscopy done. What are the causation, prognosis and severity of these results?

I have recently undergone a scheduled Esophagogastroduodenoscopy procedure performed at a major hospital in Winnipeg,MB.
The following were the findings:
Esophagitis seen in the distal third of the esophagus .Two biopsies taken.
Barret's esophagus was noted.
Duodenitis was found in the first portion of the duodenum. I am scheduled to see the Specialist in a month for follow-up(protocal) to discuss results.
In your professional opinion, can you enlighten me as best you can on the causation,prognosis and severity of these results? I only selected GERD as it was the closest condition offered on the site.
Any wisdom you may be able to impart wpould be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, XXXXXXX ) -:

Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Esophagitis implies inflammation of the esophagus wall, the most common cause is gastroesophageal reflux. Other causes would be as a result of ingesting a corrosive substance, radiation or infection in persons whose immune system is compromised by medication or illness.

The prognosis of esophagitis is usually good with early diagnosis and adequate treatment (the use of proton inhibitors such as nexium, prilosec or pravacid) though it ultimately depends on the presence of any underlying disease or the presence of any complications.
Barret's esophagus is a complication of esophagitis.

Barret's occurs as a result as a result of prolonged exposure of the esophagus to the acid from the stomach. The damage that occurs as a result of the exposure causes the lining of the esophagus to change from the normal type of cells (small parts which make up the lining) seen to other cells.

Barret's esophagus has the potential to become cancerous BUT most people WILL NOT progress to esophageal cancer. The rate of progression is about 0.5% per year ( 1 in 200 persons with Barret's esophagus per year).

The treatment involves the same dietary restrictions for GERD : avoiding fried or fatty foods, reducing the use of alcohol, caffeine, citrus produce, tomatoes, peppermint,mustard, vinegar ,aspirin. The medication that you would be given for the esophagitis is the same that will be used for the Barrets.
In addition your doctor will likely recommend yearly surveillance endoscopies to monitor for any changes, during the endoscopies he or she will take biopsies from different parts of the esophagus.

Duodenitis is inflammation of the duodenum which is the part of the intestine that is connected to the stomach related as well to the reflux disease , it will be treated in the same way.

I hope this is helpful to you, I wish you the best. Feel free to ask any additional questions