Erectile dysfunction, obesity. Recommended medicines?

i m suffering from ed for last 3 years. this may be due to obesity. i am weighing 115 kg. i am tryign my best to reduce my weight. kindly suggest me any medicine for ed.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.
Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

Out of these risk factors you already have obesity and hypertension. Obesity also lead to depression and hormonal imbalance which affect erection further. In your case first step is to manage already known risk factors for ED.

There is also need to rule out other medical conditions which can affect erection. These include diabetes, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes. For that comprehensive evaluation and tests, help of other specialist may also needed.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you:
-First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any)
-Stop worrying excessively.
-Eat a healthy diet: fruits, milk and eggs/ avoid fatty and junk food in diet.
-Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. As you will worry, your problem will increase further. You can also plan to some short vacation for honeymoon, which will relieve your stress.
-Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise (like: Jogging, skipping and cycling) daily atleast for 30 Min. It will increase blood flow all over body and will reduce weight.
-The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Megalis), which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting, but should be taken after prescription. It is important to rule out medical conditions specially related to cardiovascular system before starting such treatment. Both of these medicines have excellent result in physical causes of erectile dysfunction.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.