Erectile dysfunction, low testosterone levels. Advised to try androgel. Second opinion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i ama 50 yr old male with all of the symptoms of low testosterone levels (very little libido, some erectile dysfunction- viagra helps-, low energy, foggy headed), however my blood shows:
t4, freeL: 1.16
testosterone total: 481
TSH, highly sensitive : 0.33

my gp and i are debating about my going on a short trial of androgel. i want it, he isnt sure if it makes a difference. thoughts?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

According to your age you are having slightly decreased testosterone levels. Normal levels should be near 600ng/dl.

Since you are having symptoms of testosterone deficiency also there is no problem in giving androgel a try. It is likely to help with your symptoms.

But it is advisable to use this drug only after a doctor’s prescription. It is not to be taken without a medical supervision. Your doctor may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks in individual circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation can prescribe this drug.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Erectile dysfunction, low testosterone levels. Advised to try androgel. Second opinion? 1 hour later
Thank you. How lond would I be on the Androgel before I were to see a difference in my libido, etc? Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Though there is no fixed time for the improvement but you should be able to see the difference in two weeks time.

Hope my answer is helpful.