Erectile dysfunction. Taking tenochlor. Is antihypetensive medication causing this?

I take Tenochlor 25 mg once a day since the last 3-4 years. I monitor my BP regularly which remains stable at about 110/70. Recently I notice that I am unable to get satisfactory penile erections. Does this antihypertensive specifically responsible? If yes what should I do to get over this problem. My age is 50 years.When I started taking this drug I was told that you should take this drug more to help relax your heart rather than hypertension since my ECG by default shows inversions and the doctor suspected that I may be having MVP.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Tenochlor 25 mg is very mild anti-hypertensive but this is beta-blocker and beta-blockers are known to cause erectile dysfunction.

Your BP is quite normal and maintained well in the normal range.

Please talk to your treating doctor and discuss about decreasing the dosage of this drug or changing over to a better anti-hypertensive drug.

As far as MVP (long as it is asymptomatic.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask.

I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Erectile dysfunction. Taking tenochlor. Is antihypetensive medication causing this? 5 hours later
Dear Dr. Vachharajani,

Thank you for the reply. I was anxiously waiting to know if this adverse effect would be reversed when my doctor would agree to stop this beta blocker and/or prescribe me a better drug (if at all such a drug is available for my condition). In a nutshell this sudden attack of "impotency" is quite unnerving and I am seeking a consolation that it is not permanent and that till then I can use sidenafil. Thanks for everything.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 35 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.
After withdrawal of beta-blocker there are good chances of reversibility of the erectile problem within two or three months.

Meanwhile you can take Sidenafil tablets after advice of your doctor.
I answered your query,
If you do not have any further query or clarification,you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Ok and bye.