Erectile dysfunction. No medical history, non alcoholic, non smoker. Treatment?

Dear Doctor,

I having ED problem for the last 6 months and even I could do intercourse with my wife. My age is 45 and my hight is 169 cm and weight is 74kg. I do not have any Highper Tension, Diabetic disease and Cardiac problems. Also I do not have any bad habits. I shall be thankful to you if you can please help me to solve my problem at the earleist.

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

You have provided me with good information.

Based on the details provided, it seems like you are a bit overweight; and being overweight or obese is one of the causes for Erectile Dysfunction (ED). The other causes are stress, fatigue, low testosterone in your Blood.

ED is the inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for having sex. Since you don't have any remarkable history, I would advocate you to get yourself examined by a Competent Urologist to perform a comprehensive health check up and appropriate tests -includes Ultrasound to check the blood flow to your penis, Cholesterol/Triglycerides levels and other relevant blood work. Your Doctor may also ask for Overnight Erection Test. Once the cause is found your treatment will be devised consequently. A trial with 5 – phosphodiesterase inhibitors may also benefit you.

I encourage you to consult your urologist and discuss about these tests and medications.

In addition to the medications you may want to improve your lifestyle to enhance your sexual performances by following these lifestyle modifications:

- Lose weight. Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes and maintain a healthy weight. The normal healthy BMI is between 18.5 to 24.9. Currently your BMI is at 25.9
- Avoid high calorie foods. Eat healthy rightly balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
- Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
- I persuade you to always stay away from alcohol and smoking.
- Speak to your partner about your Problem and make her considerate towards it.

Hope I have answered your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.