Episodes of painful red joints, high BP, skin burns, ulcers. Has a leaking mitral valve. Why does urine smell?

Infertility Specialist
Doctor,My friend has episodes of painful red joints,extending to muscles.Burning sensitive skin that appears to ooze stickiness.High blood pressure rises and her heart beats fast and strong.She has a rash at this time on arms and legs,on her shoulders at the back and on her chest and neck.She has mouth ulcers,sore eyes and sore lining of the mouth.She experiences uncomfortable nail beds with swollen fingers.An episode can last for nine weeks.My friend has a leaking Mitral Valve.She has a putrid puss smell with her urine.Sometimes she urinates a lot,then not enough.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

Based on the symptoms, it appears like your friend might be having some form of connective tissue or autoimmune disorder such as lupus.
The immune system makes an abundance of proteins called antibodies. Antibodies are made by white blood cells and they recognize and combat infectious organisms in the body. Sometimes these antibodies make a mistake, identifying normal, naturally-occurring proteins in our bodies as being "foreign" and XXXXXXX These condition produce spectrum of symptoms of skin, connective tissue and can also coupled to various heart diseases such as leaking mitral valve (could be rheumatic origin).

Lupus is a rheumatic (having to do with the muscles, joints, and connective tissue) condition that affects 1.5 million people in the United States, including an estimated 10,000 children. Nearly 90% of those diagnosed with lupus are female.

The three main types of lupus are:
1. SLE, which can affect multiple organs in the body and is the most common form of the disease.
2. Cutaneous (or skin) lupus, which usually affects only the skin
3. Drug-induced lupus

Your friend could be suffering from "SLE".

Hence I encourage you to take your friend to a competent rheumatologist. She may be advised some tests such as antinuclear antibody tests and various autoimmune profile to narrow down the possibility. In addition, I also suggest her to get urine culture and sensitivity test done to treat infection if any.

I hope I answered your queries. Please accept my answer if no further queries. Yet should you have any further queries, I will be glad to address them.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol