Episodes of major allergic reactions and stomach cramps with multiple BMs. Taking benadryl. Reason?

A few times a year I have episodes where I have a major allergic reaction to something. It is significant enough to require 2-4 benedryl just to get any relief. It has to run it's course. Within a few hours of the allergic reaction happening I will have pretty difficult stomach cramping, then multiple BMs until my entire system is empty and releasing only fluid. Once there is nothing left in my body to expell all symptoms subside. I have thought about not taking any benedryl and seeking a physician when it is happening. What is this? What should I do next?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of some allergy to a particular food substance. After multiple bowel movements when the irritant is excreted out, you feel better.
If your symptoms subside on taking benadryl then it is suggestive of a food based allergy.
You can consult your physician on next such episode to confirm this.
You can get an allergy test done at your doctor's office for diagnosis.
You also can participate in an elimination diet to see if you develop allergy symptoms.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.