Episode of losing control of legs. Not able to walk during this. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Last night, lost complete control of and strength in legs. Couldn't stand. Had to hang on counter to work way to telephone and fell three times. Thirty minutes later all is well. What is?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The sudden loss of strength in the limbs with spontaneous recovery after half an hour is suggestive of nerve compression. It could happen due to prolonged sitting on a hard surface where the spinal column has already undergone age related degenerative or spondylottic changes.
If these episodes are recurrent then you need to consult your orthopedician for investigations like MRI of the spine to identify the extent of changes in your spine.
Improvising your posture will be helpful in preventing such episodes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.