Epilepsy, started after completing medication. Taking vitamin pills. Can this be cured permanently?

Neurologist
Question
meri wife ko 10 years se mirgi ki problum hai , period approx 5 min but 7 month before medicine band karne par phir se atteck aa raha hai. XXXXXXX 5 days se medicinine nahi le rahi hai only bitamin ki medicine le rahi hai kya yeh problum sab din ke liye ja sakti hai
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Epilepsy (also locally called as mirgi) needs to be treated with medicines. If there is recurrence of seizures after stopping the medicines you need to re-start the medicines in appropriate dosage to prevent further damage to the brain due to the seizures.

As we all know seizures can be caused due to various causes you need to see a Neurologist to know the cause for the seizures. If your wife MRI of the brain or the EEG is abnormal one has to be very careful as seizures usually recur after stopping the medicines. Epilepsy which runs in families requires medicines for a long time or even life long.

My recommendation would be for you to see a Neurologist for detailed evaluation to know the type and kind of epilepsy. Based on these details one can decide about the type and duration of the medications to be used.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: Epilepsy, started after completing medication. Taking vitamin pills. Can this be cured permanently? 8 hours later
Dear sir,

Thanks for reply but sir we know that the medicine as per doctor Mr. s.k Poddar, varanasi is going to take continue. what is effect in future.

we have a baby by surgery on dt. 15/03/2012 . this is not the baby will get problum .

regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 16 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Most medicine used for epilepsy in moderate dose does not have any major side effects even if taken for a long time. Most women who take medicines will have normal babies. Only 5-6% of the babies will be affected. If the baby is normal at birth without any congenital defects, they will not have any problems in the future. Do XXXXXXX a pediatric cardiologist for an ECHO when the baby is one year old to exclude problems in the heart.

Do continue on the medicines prescribed by the Neurologist and prevent epilepsy and brain damage in the future.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R