Epiglottis removed, cancer. Can it be replaced?

my husband had his epiglottis removed due to cancer. the cancer is gone and my question is can a epiglottis be rebuilt or replaced? My husband is 64 in fairily good health His speech theripist gave him some exercises to do, but is that all he can do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 hours later

I am Dr. Raju Arva from XXXXXXX

Thank you for your recent request for a second opinion from XXXXXXX

Please find below the specialist opinion written by Dr. Kumaresh Krishnamoorthy, XXXXXXX consultant ENT.

Yes, there are prosthetic epiglottis available made of Polytetrafluoroethylene which are bio inert with bactericidal and fungicidal characteristics.They can completely replace his removed epiglottis.

Exercises are must and they do help in trying to gain ability to produce acceptable phonation.Exercises are also needed if his larynx is fixed with prosthetic epiglottis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish him all good health.

Dr. Kumaresh Krishnamoorthy,
ENT specialist
Follow-up: Epiglottis removed, cancer. Can it be replaced? 59 minutes later
What are the risks during the operation and after? Has this surgery been done with humans alot
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Hi again,

No , this surgery is been done on very few ,as it is a very new technique with unproven success.

Well there are some institutes which do have the infrastructure to consider such surgery and you can discuss with them about the same.Also consult your Primary doctor who can guide you better on the details.

University hospital of Louvain at Mont- Gioddine 5530 Yvoir Belgium,

Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals

Hope I answered your query completely.

Wish him good health.