Epigastric pain on eating hot food, not present on swallowing saliva, pain while belching. Have I burnt my esophagus?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
A few days ago I ate a very hot brussel sprout, I literally knelt over in pain as it went down my throat. I am still having epigastric pain, not while swallowing saliva, but when eating foods. I also have the sensation to belch, which also hurts and radiates to my ears. Could I have burnt my esophagus and what can I do to help with the pain? The pain subsides when I'm not eating.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

From your history, it is likely that you have suffered from a thermal injury to the inner lining of the upper gut. I would suggest the following

1. Avoid spicy food
2. Avoid alcoholic beverages including effervescent beverages, however low the alcohol content may be.
3. Avoid food articles which are very hot for the time being.
3. A course of Proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole will help.
4. A course of coating agents such as sucralfate.

However, these are prescription drugs and will be available only after you consult your symptoms.
If despite this treatment, you do not get any relief you then will need to consult a surgeon for considering upper GI endoscopy.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Epigastric pain on eating hot food, not present on swallowing saliva, pain while belching. Have I burnt my esophagus? 45 hours later
Why do my ears also hurt when swallowing? I saw a physician today and he did not see any inflammation. I was put on carafate and omperazole for the thermal injury. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 35 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back.

The reason for pain and discomfort in the ears is due to referred pain.

As a result, examination of the ears is going to be normal.

The mechanism of this symptom is sharing of the nerve supply by both regions that is the lower oral cavity and the ear.

Continue with the treatment as suggested by your doctor.

I hope, I have answered your query. please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.