Epididymal tail calcification, azoospermia, blockage of reproductive tract

in notes from my doctor it says that I have epididymal tail calcification. What does this mean and are there any cures for this? The reason why I got checked up was because I have azoospermia. Could this be the cause?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 15 hours later

On reading your question, I would want to elaborate on a few terms:

Epididymal tail calcification: Epididymis is an integral part of the male reproductive system,it is a narrow, tightly coiled tube connecting the ducts from testicles( where sperms are produced) to the vas deferens(transport sperms from the epididymis in anticipation of an ejaculation).

Epididymis being very important here, as it stores the sperms produced in testes and make them active and help in gaining maturity.Epididymis has the following parts, a head, body and the tail, all the three parts being integral in the whole process of fertility.

Epididymal tail calcification indicates that there is a pathology in the epididymis , calcifications mean the hardening of tissues and fibrosis reasons being mulitple. The causes for this are infections like TB, filariasis, cysts, renal/kidney diseases and inflammatory conditions.

Calcifications in the epididymis is associated very often with AZOOSPERMIA, a condition where the sperm count is zero. I would be able to co relate that the calcifications may be a cause for the azoospermia ,obstruction due to calcifications can lead to blockage in the reproductive tract which includes the epididymis as well.

We need to find out further, if there is any infection or inflammation,or any other cause in you that has lead to the calcifications and then treat the same to relieve the obstruction,cure the underlying infection, else one may need a surgical intervention for the same. The method of treatment will be decided by the doctor examining you and also depends on the cause for the calcifications.

I hope I answered your questions. I am available for follow up queries as well.