Entire muscular system tightened,muscle in other arm shrunken,Novolog regular insulin injections

after my husband had his novolog r insulin injections his entire muscular system tightened up and the muscles in his other arm appeared shrunken. Why did this happen
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 3 hours later

Novolog Regular is a fast acting insulin. After injecting Novolog R, it is advised to consume meals within 5 to 10 min.

Before explaining the cause of your query let me list the side effects of Novolog R:
1) Hypoglycemia (fall in blood sugar levels below normal)
2) Insulin resistance
3) Lipodystrophy (degeneration of body fat)
4) Hypokalemia ( decrease in potassium levels)
5) Muscle cramping
6) Weakness
7) Dizziness, confusion,etc.

As I listed above, that Muscular cramping is a side effect of Novolog R. It usually occurs in few people. It is due to the initial electrolyte imbalance caused due to hyperglycaemia (excess blood sugar levels) and also due to hypokalemia(an electrolyte reduction of potassium levels) caused due to Insulin. The muscles of the other arm appear shrunken might be due to lipodystrophy (loss of body fat).

As Diabetes is a high metabolic state, there might be generalized degeneration of the body fat leading to weight loss and thinning of the limbs.This is known as muscle wasting.

Meanwhile, following these measures would be helpful:
1) During the period of muscle cramp, avoid exercising the affected part. It will gradually relive itself.
2) Keep changing the site of the injection every time you use insulin
2) Monitor the blood sugar levels regularly
3) Avoid missing the Insulin dose
4) Follow diabetic diet
5) Follow Physical exercises (brisk walking every day at a speed of 6 km/hour gradually increasing the distance
6) Regular follow up with your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.

Wish your husband a speedy recovery.