Enthesopathy in the hip. Pain and grinding sensation on the hip. Is the damage permanent?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I developed enthesopathy in my right hip (at the trochanter) in early 2011 from over-use. Even though I've restricted how long and how fast I've walked since then, I still feel a grinding sensation (or hip pain) in my hip if I walk more than 2 miles - even if I take breaks and don't walk it all without stopping. What can I do to take care of this? Will it heal, or is the damage permanent? Is it degenerative?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The grinding sensation in your hip is due to the inflammatory changes in the capsule. It is not a degenerative hip disease. In case there is no pain then local steroid injections or supplements like glucosamine sulfate or chondroitin sulphate will help in reducing the feeling.
Providing adequate rest to the hip joint is equally essential.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Enthesopathy in the hip. Pain and grinding sensation on the hip. Is the damage permanent? 10 hours later
What would be adequate rest be? I've only been doing more walking over the last 2-3 months, and limiting how fast and far I walk since then.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Adequate rest means that you need to limit the distance you walk till the pain subsides completely. In case there is no pain or local swelling then you can continue walking at a slower pace until there is no pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.