Enlarging bump on the chest, reddish swollen skin

I am a 26 year old Male, 5'10" weighing 150 lbs. I have had a small bump on my chest for several years now - it felt mostly numb and didn't bother me. But in the past week it has become significantly larger (from about the size of a pea to the size of a half-dollar), become red in color with tightly swollen skin.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It is very likely this bump started long ago as a tiny sebaceous cyst. These can become infected and usually heal over time as well. Sometimes with healing they may become thickened with some numbness of the surrounding tissue.

I suspect that right now you are dealing with a minor infection of the cyst area. This will likely get better over time but for now you should focus on promoting healing.

Do this by applying warm compresses to the area and by not squeezing the area at all. If the swelling worsens or if you develop pain or fever in the next few days you should see your doctor for a consultation and possible antibiotic prescription. Otherwise the area should heal by itself.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found this to be helpful and ing you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga