Enlarging brown spot on the cheek, no itching, no sunburn. Should be concerned?

My 7 yr old daughter developed a brown spot on her cheek that is about one inch in diameter but not symmetrical (not raised, no itching, etc). I noticed it about a month ago and it appears to be have grown since I first noticed it. She has never had a sunburn and is always protected from sun damage. Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 36 minutes later

Brown spots can be due to various reasons as vitamin deficiency,sun burn,Pityriasis alba (it is a skin condition and cause is unknown but it usually resolves by itself),freckles,hormonal imbalance etc.

Most of the spots are harmless and usually resolve by themselves in time.

Some measures you can follow:
1)Soak some alomnds overnight in water and in the morning after peeling them off grind in mixer and make a paste with honey.Apply this twice daily.

2)You can also directly apply Aloe vera gel which has very good antiinflammatory properties.

3)Once a week rub lightly watermelon or papaya peel.

4)Always apply sunscreen before stepping out in the sun.

5)Ask child to include more of fruits and salads in diet.

Most of the spots disappear on their own.If there are any other symptoms as itching,changes in size,shape and consistency consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.