Enlarged vein under the tongue. Dangerous?

I have an enlarged vein on the underside of my tongue which the dentist discovered Friday. It looks like it could pop. I am a little frightened as it is so strange. Have an appt. with my family doctor on Monday.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

An enlarged and prominent vein on the underside of tongue without any other symptom is just a normal anatomical variation and an incidental finding by your dentist.

If there is no associated infection or oral ulcer then there is nothing to worry. Since tongue is a highly vascular structure, such venous prominence is a normal finding and does not have much clinical significance.

Still, it is best to let your family doctor have a look at it and rule out any possible causes.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.