Enlarged vein in arm, painful. Had liver transplant. Should I be concerned?

Thank you. I have an enlarged vein in my right arm. Painful. I am a Post Op Liver Transplant 13 years out. Should I be concerened?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 29 minutes later

Enlarged and painful vein is suggestive of phlebitis-that is inflammation or infection of vein.

This can happen due to many reasons like
-Some fever
-Recent history of blood collection
-Pressure on arm
These are some of the common reasons. There could be other reasons also.

It is always advisable that you visit your physician and get your self examined for this.You might need some investigations and course of antibiotics as per the your physician`s advise.

In mean time you can take any analgesic you are comfortable with or you have taken in past.This will relieve pain and swelling for some time and reduce discomfort.

Please give rest to the arm and avoid pressure on the part.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.