Enlarged sub-mandibular nodes, depression, stress, anxiety, infection, tumor or cancer ?

Hi, I am 27 years old; approximately two months ago I noticed enlarged submandibular nodes under my left side jaw, and slight enlargement as well under my right side jaw. It worries me a lot, I have been in XXXXXXX depression and stress and anxiety lately due to my mother infected with breast cancer, and my friend infected with neck cancer. This cancer term keep following me all the time, I always carry a concern that I might also be affected with this disease, continuously I watch my self at the mirror only to observe for any symptoms and abnormal enlargement.
At the time of noticing the enlarged lymph nodes, I had a sever XXXXXXX pain, I couldn’t move my XXXXXXX for a week (I cannot remember whether if it was prior or after the nodes enlargement). Lately I also had a throat infection and noise block with no fever for a week; I get this infection twice, one time two months prior the enlargement, and the other time one month after the enlargement. From time to time also I feel a pain at my both submandibular nodes or glands (cannot say which), especially at my left side when I swallow. And some time also I feel a slight pain in my left ear.
The texture of nodes is hard to describe but certainly I can say it is tender and supple and squeezable and maybe warm and movable (I can push it to the left and right and upward without changing it location), but it is definitely not hard or affixed. And about the size, some times I really feel it getting smaller and the other times I feel it stayed the same.
I visited a doctor 2 weeks ago and prescribed me with an antibiotic one week course. After the course, the pain it observed at first but it came back again, and about the size I felt it get better and because I am panicking a lot I cannot say whether now it progressing or not, I cannot stop touching my nodes.
I been reading a lot of articles while browsing the net, and I know this enlargement might be due to infections or tumor or cancer. After the antibiotic, is it till can be due to infections or virus or bacteria? Can it be due to cancer or tumor; even though I do not carry any symptoms of loss weight or fever or vomiting or night sweat? How long usually for enlarged submandibular lymph nodes get observed and shrink to normal size?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

You have reported about submandibular gland enlargement on both sides of the jaw.

I appreciated the detailed history and examination findings reported by you. I still want to ask you a few more things before giving my best opinion-

1. After the course of the antibiotic, has the pain reduced?
2. Do you have any infection of the ear or oral cavity or any infected tooth or history of repeated tonsillitis?
3.Is there any fever associated? If yes, then is it high grade or low grade?

From your description, it seems like a lymph node enlargement; may be associated with an infection. Cancer is very, very unlikely. A detailed physical examination and few investigations like complete blood picture is needed. Hyper conservative physician may suggest FNAC studies for a definitive diagnosis.

Enlarged lymphnode usually regress in size over period of time, probably a few weeks to months. It is also common to find the enlarged node to remain in its size as a reactive lymphnode for years. Such reactive lymphnodes are insignificant and not concerning.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Enlarged sub-mandibular nodes, depression, stress, anxiety, infection, tumor or cancer ? 1 hour later
Both of my submandibular, don’t know whether the glands or nodes, are enlarged, the left side is bigger than the right side.

After the course of antibiotics the pain has reduced, and gradually it gets back from time to time, I can feel the pain from both sides, more especially at the left side. It comes back and then it goes away, does it because I keep touching my lymph nodes?

For the past year, repeatedly I got infected with a throat infection and pain, and some times a sensation of a dry throat, (don’t know whether the tonsillitis have been infected) it relieved usually in a one week time after using either antibiotics or Advil cold and flue pills. All with no fever associated.
I went to the doctors twice for the past 5 months for the same issue.

I discovered with time that whenever I get concerned and worried, I feel a slight pain in my left side neck (muscle pain) but not severe, after that my through start paining and gets swallow. Does this have an y relation?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Repeated pain is not associated with touching the nodes repeatedly.Such pain is more indicative of an infective origin. Even if you take antibiotics to treat your infection, the lymph nodes might take even months to subside. You need not be too much concerned about the swellings unless they start growing rapidly.

Wish you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Enlarged sub-mandibular nodes, depression, stress, anxiety, infection, tumor or cancer ? 11 hours later
I really appreciate for your immediate response, as you said I repeatedly get the throat pain when I speak for example loudly or for a long time, for sure it relieve my sense of fear and panic, just today I really felt my anodes are quit reducing in size. Once again I thank you for all your support and attention.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you so much XXXXXXX for the appreciation.
We will be always there to help you in future also.
Good day.