Ask a Urologist   »  

Enlarged prostrate, blocked urethra. Has been catheterized with a bag. Taking Panadol. Is surgery option better?

My father is 96 years old and has a prostate 5 times the normal size. It has finally blocked the urethra and he has been catheterized with a bag on his leg . Now we need to decide the safest beneficial ongoing treatment . He is very healthy with only a dodgy knee as any other problems . Only takes panadol in the way of medications .
Would an operation with a general anesthesia be okay or should he continue with the bag . Should he catheter be in dwelling or condom style . He is not unhappy with the bag but is finding it difficult to sleep with the night time long tube .

We see the specialist in 3 days.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 48 minutes later

Your father has developed urinary retention secondary to prostate enlargement. He has either to be on indwelling catheter or get himself operated upon. The option of condom drainage does not exist for him.

From your description he appears to be in good health and I don't see any reason why he should not be operated upon. You should get him evaluated by urologist and the anesthesia team. If found suitable for surgery, he should be certainly subjected to it.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.