Enlarged papillae at the back of the tongue, dry throat. Habit of using nasal drops at night. Need remedy

I have had enlarged Papillae for about two months now. They are on the very back of my tongue downwards on both sides of my tongue. I can't link them to anything but they are driving me nuts. I also have a dry feeling in the back of my throat. I do have a bad habit of using nose drops at night. This happened last year where I noticed these enlarged red bumps. They lasted about 1 month and went away. They have come back but they don't seem to be getting better after 2 months. I do use a Neti-pot for congestion sometimes. What should I do to help cure these?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later

You have large papillae at the back of your tongue and a dry feeling at the back of your throat. Since you are not on any other medication that can cause the problem--I think your nasal drops are responsible for both problems, since all nasal drops have a decongestant and drying effect. You should stop using them.

Neti with lukewarm water, without adding salt is the safest way to decongest your nose and you can carry on doing it.

As far as cure goes--take a B-complex pill daily for a month after food and for the throat dryness, drink plenty of water and suck lemon or orange drops, you should soon start feeling better. However if there is no improvement, get your thyroid function tests done to rule out low functions (hypothyroid). Please get back if you need any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Enlarged papillae at the back of the tongue, dry throat. Habit of using nasal drops at night. Need remedy 10 hours later
The Neti Pot does say to not use with straight water without salt. I tried it once and it really burned. I have tried using saline at night for my nasal dryness/swelling but that doesn't help throughout the night. I usually just use nose drops once a night but will try to stop. The bumps do not hurt, ?
What would be symptoms of Low Thyroid? How would the Low Thyroid relate to the enlarged Papillae so I can pay attention to see if this might be the reason.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 26 hours later

I appreciate your efforts on stopping the nasal drops. Once you completely get rid of it the tongue lesions may be reversed.

Hypothyroidism presents with below symptoms :

Cold intolerance, increased sensitivity to cold
Decreased sweating
Muscle cramps and joint pain
Dry, itchy skin
Thin, brittle fingernails
Slow speech and a hoarse, breaking voice – deepening of the voice
Dry puffy skin, especially on the face

Thyroid hormone is involved conversion of beta-carotene[precursor] to vitamin A which is essential to maintain health in skin , mucous membranes ( of tongue , oral mucosa etc ) this as I suspect could be a chance in you .Hence ruling it out is a better option.

Hope I cleared your doubts.