Enlarged lymph nodes behind ears, enlarged glands in neck, mono infection. Scan necessary ?

my son has enlarged lymph nodes behind his ears, the left being much larger and now I am feeling either an enlarged glad or lymph node below that in his neck. He had mono last November, but they were enlarged before that. Should I have a biopsy or scan done?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 35 minutes later

If the lymph node size is small and assosiated with pain of the swelling and fever, It could be due to infection.

If the size is bigger and presents with similar swelling else where and If they are not painful, they need to be evaluated.

His history also suggests that he frequently gets cold and sinus infections.

It is suggestive of his low immunity.

Rubbery and matted swelling along with loss of weight and frequent infections would be due to lymphoma.

It is advisable to undergo a biopsy initially and if biopsy shows any significant changes you will have to go for scan.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Enlarged lymph nodes behind ears, enlarged glands in neck, mono infection. Scan necessary ? 25 minutes later
He does not have any other symptoms, does Lymphoma usually have just swollen lymph nodes? I had a CBC done a month ago and it showed nothing.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 7 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

In the initial stages it might present as just swelling and symptoms might start little
later. But only lymph nodes doesn't diagnose lymphoma and requires a tissue biopsy to confirm.

So kindly visit a physician, or even a surgeon as it needs to be examined by him thoroughly initially.

Hope I have answered your query.