Ask a Dentist   »  

Enlarged circumvallate papillae with yeast infection. Causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i believe i have Enlarged circumvallate Pappilla with yeast.What can cause this? im 41 years old 5'8 195 pounds,
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Enlarged circumvallate papillae if associated with a bad breath or pain are most likely due to an infection- bacterial or yeast. These may happen due to a burned back of your tongue.
Long term use of steroids may cause a fungal infection of these papillae.
An examination by a dentist is required to find out the type of infection and appropriate treatment. Oral anti fungal agents and antibiotics are needed along with topical treatment.
In some cases it is just a normal anatomical variation and does not need any treatment.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.